The Breakdown’s 5th annual Side Out Classic comes to Hopkins High School Lindbergh Center this Saturday, Aug. 25, featuring some of the best high school volleyball programs in Minnesota in a one-day showcase event. A quick look at the 34 teams and 17 matches shows dozens of possible outcomes and intriguing match-ups. But here are the numbers behind five of our favorites:
3. All three of our preseason top-ranked teams are playing. Want an early look at who we expect to raise the state championship trophies in November? You’ll get a chance with No. 1-3A Champlin Park facing No. 8-3A Hopkins at 7 p.m. on Court 1, No. 1-2A North Branch taking on No. 13-2A Glencoe-Silver Lake at 5 p.m. on Court 3, and No. 1-1A Minneota playing No. 7-1A Rush City at 3 p.m., also on Court 3.
4. Four of our preseason Miss Volleyball candidates are in action. Speaking of that Champlin Park vs. Hopkins match, three of our favorites go head-to-head with Rebels’ setter Izzy Ashburn and outside hitter Lauren Clark facing Royals’ outside hitter Anna Erickson. Minneota also has middle Lydia Sussner, one of our other 12 favorites from the book.
5. The rich get richer? The Breakdown already had Champlin Park ranked No. 1 in the preseason, but the Rebels should be even tougher after picking up Clark as a transfer from Robbinsdale Armstrong. One of the top players in the state, Clark has been a Penn State commit since her sophomore season. The USA Today/AVCA nationwide preseason poll has the Rebels No. 5 in the country.
8. Eight defending section champions will be there. An even third of last year’s state tournament field will be at Hopkins on Saturday, as in addition to the three No. 1-ranked preseason teams, we’ll also host Moorhead, Stillwater, and Hopkins from the Class 3A field; Kenyon-Wanamingo from the Class 2A field; and Pine River-Backus from the Class 1A field.
10. The number of preseason All-Breakdown players on site. Yes, the list is deep and talented — and split fairly evenly amongst classes and courts. On Court 1, take a peek at Champlin Park’s trio (Emma Schmidt, Ashburn, and Clark) and Hopkins’ Erickson. On Court 2, Kenyon-Wanamingo will be led by outside hitter Ally Peterson. And on Court 3, North Branch (Cianna Selbitschka), Southwest Christian (Brenna Krommendyk), Rush City (Jamie Guptill), and Minneota (Sussner and Morgan Kockelman) all made our All-Breakdown lists in their respective classes.
Varsity matches begin at 9 a.m. and run through the evening on three courts in the Hopkins’ Lindbergh Center. There will also be junior varsity, B-squad, and freshman level matches at Hopkins all day. More information can be found on our website at www.breakdownsportsusa.com/sideout The full varsity schedule is:
SIDE OUT CLASSIC: 2018
Aug. 25, 2018 at Hopkins’ Lindbergh Center
Time Team Team
Time Team Team
Time Team Team
Click on the links below to visit our social media sites, from Twitter to Facebook to YouTube to Instagram and more.